May 02, 2019
- Safe sunshine exposure. Note sunscreen blocks vitamin D absorption
- Fatty fish especially cod liver oil
- Egg yolk
- Mushrooms, especially those grown under ultraviolet light
This is extremely common these days, people just aren’t getting adequate sun exposure or they are hiding under sunscreen and missing out on Vitamin D. Women with fat malabsorption issues struggle to utilise this fat-soluble vitamin and women with a high body mass also struggle to get adequate Vitamin D. Postmenopausal your requirements for Vitamin D increase.
- Depression and low moods
- Immune regulation, great for either an underactive or overactive immune system
- Helps prevent cancer (especially colon, prostate, and breast)
- Strengthens bone
- Reduces pain and inflammation. Several studies link decreased pain tolerance with lowered Vitamin D levels
- Plays a role in nerve health and may prevent or reduce MS (multiple sclerosis)
- It also plays a role in muscle health; deficiency can cause muscle cramps, spasms, and pain
- Helps regulate the life of a cell (growth, repair, and death)
- May play a role in preventing Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and regulating blood sugar levels
- Plays a role in cholesterol and triglyceride management, blood pressure regulation and preventing cardiovascular disease
- Keeps your brain, memory, and cognition working well.
- Using Corticosteroid medication such as prednisone reduces your Vitamin D levels. Supplementation is needed.
- Cholesterol reducing medication like Cholestyramine or Statins, reduce your Vitamin D levels. Supplementation is needed.
- Fat absorbing medication such as Xenical, reduces your Vitamin D levels and supplementation away from this medication is required.
- Epilepsy medication such as Phenytoin and Phenobarbital, significantly reduce Vitamin D levels. Supplementation is needed.
There are vitamin D receptors in every cell and tissue of your body, from your brain to your toes and all your bones, muscles, nerves along the way. This means it has a role to play in the health of your entire body!