Mar 19, 2020
Cellulite describes the appearance of dimpling in the skin, it may look similar to the peel of an orange. It is caused by the protrusion of subcutaneous fat into the dermis. It is caused by a loss of flexibility of the connective tissue and muscle surrounding the fat tissue. It is believed to affect 85-98% of all women. Predominantly it can found around the hips, thighs, and buttocks.
It is not always related to being overweight, underweight women can also get cellulite.
What Causes & Triggers Cellulite to occur?
- Genetic predisposition
- Body composition (high-fat percentage, low muscle mass)
- Being Female
- Aged over 35
- Hormonal changes
- Poor diet and dehydration
- Lack of exercise
What can we do nutritionally to help Cellulite?
Low Carb/ Ketogenic or Paleo-style diet works best.
- Essential fatty acids such as oily fish and nuts/seeds
- Fruits & vegetables rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, and bioflavonoids
- Protein is essential for connective tissue support and should be consumed regularly.
- Foods that enhance peripheral circulation such as ginger, chili, garlic and onions may be useful.
Reduce or Remove:
- Pro-inflammatory foods including:
- trans fats & deep-fried foods
- refined foods
- carbohydrates (grains) / sugar
- Smoking & Alcohol
What lifestyle changes do you recommend for Cellulite?
- Exercise is essential to burn fat, build muscle and boost blood & lymphatic circulation
- Daily dry body brushing can stimulate blood and lymphatic flow
- Lymphatic anti-cellulite massage can help remove and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Is a detoxification program needed: Detoxing alkalizes the blood and urine, up-regulates kidney function, clears toxic metals, provides lymphatic & antioxidant support
- Is the Liver functioning optimally: Stimulating bile flow and liver detoxification speed up the clearance of toxins stored in the tissues. Toxins stored in peripheral fat strongly contribute to the appearance of cellulite.
- Is hypothyroidism a concern: Lower basal metabolic rate is strongly associated with cellulite formation? Stimulating thyroid function increases metabolic functions needed for the reduction of cellulite.