May 16, 2019
- Seaweed- kelp, nori, kombu, and wakame
- Salt - Iodised salt is not recommended. Natural salt contains 43 trace minerals and is a super food, iodised salt is highly-processed and has had 40 of the minerals removed imbalancing its nutrient profile.
Goiter (swollen thyroid/neck) is one of the clinical signs of low iodine. It can also cause dysfunction in the production of thyroid hormones and can be linked to thyroid cancer.
- It is an essential building block for thyroid hormone and needed for thyroid health. Your thyroid is responsible for controlling your metabolism.
- Essential for breast health and can be used to reduce breast pain, reduce fibrocystic breast disease and may even be protective against breast cancer.
- Mental acuity
- Don’t take this if your thyroid dysfunction is immune-based e.g. Hashimoto's or Graves, unless under supervision of a health care professional, as it can increase thyroid antibodies.
- Do NOT take iodine with Hyperthyroid medication such as Tapazole
- Do NOT take iodine with ACE inhibitors or Potassium-sparing diuretics as you must avoid potassium with these drugs and iodine potassium is the main form of iodine supplementation
- Do NOT take iodine if you are on Lithium, as it increases your risk of an underactive thyroid
Goitrogen containing foods can interfere with the uptake of iodine and exacerbate iodine deficiency. Foods high in goitrogens include soy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and other cruciferous vegetables. Cooking these vegetables destroys their goitrogenic qualities.