May 19, 2019
- Natural sea salt, e.g., Celtic sea salt is a superfood. It contains 43 trace minerals including sodium in the correct ratio. Table salt or iodised salt are not good options as they have been processed and the other nutrients have been removed, causing an imbalance.
- Seafood, seaweeds
Can occur if eating a low-salt diet or if you are an excessive sweater
- Maintains extracellular fluid volume
- Facilitates nerve impulses
- Regulates heartbeat and blood pressure, deficiency can trigger dizziness and postural hypotension
- Regulates muscle control - and is a useful addition to prevent leg cramps
- Regulates respiration and oxygenation
- Plays a role in digestion, deficiency can cause nausea
- Improves immunity - it is antimicrobial - great as a mouth gargle, sinus rinse and even topically for open sores (although may sting a little)
- May improve skin conditions such as eczema
- Brain function - low sodium has been shown to increase cognitive decline
Too much sodium is also a problem - everything in balance. High levels are common in diets high in processed foods.
- Do NOT take sodium with lithium as it reduces its effectiveness.
- Do NOT take sodium with tolvaptan as it increases sodium levels.
Salt rooms are taking off around the world, by sitting in a room filled with salt, it opens up your lungs, improves skin health, energy and relaxation. Professional athletes go to enhance their abilities.